PTCL introduces wireless broadband service: PTCL EVDO

PTCL EVDO: PTCL Wireless Broadband Service

We heard of it long ago and finally it is here. For those who don’t know about it, PTCL EVDO is the wireless broadband service by Pakistan Telecommunication Company Limited(PTCL), the largest voice and data network of Pakistan. Though it is not launched officially but it is available for friendly user trials(FUT) via PTCL Corporate Customer Care (CCC) Centers or One Stop Shops (OSS) in Karachi, Islamabad, Rawalpindi and Lahore.

What is EVDO?

[Source: Wikipedia]

Evolution-Data Optimized or Evolution-Data only, abbreviated as EV-DO or EVDO and often EV, is a telecommunications standard for the wireless transmission of data through radio signals, typically for broadband Internet access. It uses multiplexing techniques including Code division multiple access (CDMA) as well as Time division multiple access (TDMA) to maximize both individual user’s throughput and the overall system throughput. It is standardized by 3rd Generation Partnership Project 2 (3GPP2) as part of the CDMA2000 family of standards and has been adopted by many mobile phone service providers around the world – particularly those previously employing CDMA networks. It is also used on the Globalstar satellite phone network.

PTCL is using CDMA EVDO Rev.A technology, which means speed can go up to 3.1Mbps.

What is the Tariff?

If we check through the official PTCL EVDO page we get no clue about tariff. Most possible reason is that it is not yet officially launched. However contacting there Islamabad CCC, I came to know that it is a shared broadband service for Rs.2500/month and speed can vary depending on location and number of customers using PTCL EVDO in a particular area. Additionally the EVDO card only works with laptops since it fits in PCMCIA slot. The site also states that USB EVDO cards would be available soon, means one can use it on a PC too.
Personally I guess this service will be yet another huge success for PTCL after their Broadband Pakistan service. I am not sure about the set up required to provide EVDO service. If it is not that much complicated, PTCL can widen its broadband services to rural areas. Even my native villagers are starving for a broadband service. :wink:

I am a South Asia guy interested in Wordpress, Ubuntu, Graphics, Gadgets & blah blah. I love writing about my favorite things.

22 Responses to “PTCL introduces wireless broadband service: PTCL EVDO”

1. Jgull says:

Good to see Pakistan is eventually going broadband.. and wireless broadband…

2. Ahmad Nouman says:

Thanks dear for providing us such an important information regarding wirless broadband by PTCL. Because the other providers are not having satisfied customers at the moment.

3. Ptcl Evdo says:

Nice piece of Information you got! Let’s see what Ptcl will do to take the market share in wireless internet era.

4. Kashif says:

Installation charges ate Rs 4000/- and monty fees is Rs. 2000/month. Date 18 March 2009.

5. Sajid Iqbal says:

Thanks Kashif for updating us with the tarrif.

6. yaman shah says:

be very thankful to u about that u peoples lauched wireless net service.im from kohat.kub tak ya sevice kub tak ajay ge dear.kafi wait tha mujha is ka .bhout khushi howi ya sun kar

7. Nauman Akram says:

In case of theft of EV-DO device, what is the possible solution that is available to us to accomodate the wrong usage.

8. Sajid Iqbal says:

@Nauman: I’ve frankly no idea about it. You can check this with the PTCL sale point support while signing up or their helpline. As far I can guess, they’ll terminate services for that particular device.

9. Naseem says:

Thanks for the information and i would like to ask abt the downloading speed. Is it 1 to 2 MB

10. Sajid Iqbal says:

Dear Naseem,
    According to PTCL sources, speed can go up to 3.1mbps. Personally I havn’t used it yet, but eager to use it in future.

11. atarehman says:

in my openion ptcl should introduce wimax service for home users and tarrif not more then Rs1000/00 per month,i am sure all users will be switched on this service.but download must be unlimited.

12. ,[...] blog.emobilez.com is other nice source on this issue,[...]

13. ahsan says:

i am sale internet wireless broadband wifi device 100% signal guaranty 512 speed only Rs 750 monthly bill 1mb 1000rs no extra charges no hidden charges please contact:03452153186 only for karachi

14. Amir says:

Mr, Sajid as i can see you are very much updated about ptcl wireless broadband service i hope you can also help me to find some good wifi router so i could use my wireless usb ptcl router as a wifi hotspot because i want to share that usb router at home with my different wifi enabled devices i was searching on google about which router is compatible for the Evdo standard there is only one router available in the market is from D-Link DIR-450 which is supporting our Ptcl Evdo standard but i am not sure if it is the right router for my need could You please help me so i could chose the right gadget to create wifi network using my Ptcl Evdo usb broadband. Please answer my Request on my Email Thanks. Regards

15. Muhammad Ansar says:

i want to know that after how much period it wll be available for the villagers of Sargodha District

16. Zeeshan says:

sir

pls send me pop and smtp setting on my email

17. Maryam Kaur says:

Broadband internet these days are getting much faster and cheaper too. `~-

18. waqar ahmad says:

I m near PTCL tower but receiving less than 100 kbps. this is a fraud. please dont buy PTCL EVO.

19. Raheel says:

fraud fraud fraud…….
    dont be a victim just get DSL instead. I researched alot about it even after hearing too much complains i still give it a try as i had to pay only 1000/month and also the distance from exchange is less than 3-Km i am receiving full signal but downloading sucks yes i just said suck it really sucks so just dont buy it. 1mb DSL is better than this.

20. Yaseen says:

it really not better work
    its a fraud by PTCL
    low speed and higher price
    1mb DSL is better than this.

21. Marcus Bargen says:

Hi! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and say I truly enjoy reading your posts. Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that deal with the same topics? Thanks a ton!